Observing Personality Disorder in the Classroom
Faculty may observe the following for students with personality disorders:
- Irrational suspicion, distrust of others
- Rigid patterns of thinking
- Attention-seeking behavior
- Sudden mood swings
- Students might seem uninterested in relationships, aloof, or distrustful of others
- Student might make grandiose claims
- Student might be argumentative or defensive
- May tend to blame failure or disappointment on others
- Constant need to seek approval from others
- Self-centeredness or a need to be the center of attention
- May be overly sensitive to criticism
- Low tolerance for delayed gratification or frustration
- NIH Information on Personality Disorders
- Mayo Clinic's Information on Personality Disorders
Related Functional Characteristics
Anxiety : Students with personality disorders may exhibit anxiety due to their unrealistic perceptions of themselves or other people and the resulting conflict from dysfunctional interactions with others.
Distracting Behavior : As students with personality disorder have difficulty monitoring their behavior and comprehending social cues, their behavior can often be distracting to others.
Inability to Comprehend Social Cues : Impaired self-reflection is a defining characteristic of personality disorders as they always involve misperceptions of self or others. Students with personality disorders may have difficulty monitoring their own behavior or the behavior of others. They may be unable to regulate their social interactions, have difficulty maintaining a conversation, and be unaware of the importance of proximity.
Obsessive Behavior : Students with personality disorder are often hypervigilant and inflexible in their behavior.
The Building Accepting Campus Communities (BACC) project was funded by the US Department of Education Office of Secondary Education grant #P333A080070-09. The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on gender, age, disability, race, color, religion, marital status, veteran's status, national or ethnic origin, or sexual orientation.