Observing Heart Condition in the Classroom
Faculty might observe the following in students with a heart condition:
- May actively avoid confrontational situations such as debates
- Might be absent more often than other students
- Might appear tired or fatigued
- May ask to be excused from strenuous physical activities
- American Heart Association
- Mayo Clinic Information on Heart Disease
Related Functional Characteristics
Breathing Difficulty : Students with a heart condition may experience shortness of breath or other breathing difficulties.
Fatigue (Physical) : Students with a heart condition may exhibit physical fatigue due to lack of oxygen and nutrients to the body.
Numbness : Students with heart conditions can have numbness due to poor circulation or pooling of blood in extremities.
The Building Accepting Campus Communities (BACC) project was funded by the US Department of Education Office of Secondary Education grant #P333A080070-09. The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on gender, age, disability, race, color, religion, marital status, veteran's status, national or ethnic origin, or sexual orientation.