Accommodation Solutions Online

Personal Care/ Medical Equipment Needs (1B)

A student who has personal care needs may require an attendant or home health aide to assist them, require specialized medical equipment, or time to receive treatments using specialized equipment.
Students with personal care/medical equipment needs may require overnight medical care, assistance with and maintenance of medical equipment, or other personal care as a result of their disability. Normally, this would primarily affect housing but might require accommodations if the student requires treatment during the academic day.

Formal Diagnostics

A physician's diagnosis of a medical condition related to the need for nursing/personal care or specialized equipment would be appropriate documentation.

Intake Questions

  • Do you need specialized medical equipment?
  • What are your needs related to such equipment?
  • How often do you require assistance?
  • What time of day do your attendants come?
  • Will your attendants require parking permits?
  • What accommodations or strategies have been effective in the past?


The Building Accepting Campus Communities (BACC) project was funded by the US Department of Education Office of Secondary Education grant #P333A080070-09. The University of Nebraska does not discriminate based on gender, age, disability, race, color, religion, marital status, veteran's status, national or ethnic origin, or sexual orientation.